Fwd: Spec review request: CSV on the Web

Hi all,

For the record here was my reply to the call for feedback.
The call from Dan can be read when scrolling down ;-)

Cheers,
Christophe

# http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-csv2rdf-20150416/

* 4.4 -> what about pointing to a DCAT resource instead ? That resource
could in turn be associated to a distribution file. Would surely be more
complex that the proposed solution but would sound more integrated with
other vocabs / BPs.

* If 4.2 is normative I'm somewhat uncomfortable with "4.6.1 In standard
mode only, establish a new blank node R which represents the current row"
because if I would like not to use a BNode because I want dereferencable
URIs I would not be compliant. Otherwise, if I'm free to use a BNode or
something else everything is fine :-)

* 4.3 -> as for JSON it could be useful to define a resource for JSON-LD
too, just in case it's used in the tables.

* The notion of a 'standard' and 'minimal' modes sounds to me like an
unnecessary added level of conceptual complexity. Maybe you switch that to
something closer to what JSON-LD do: the minimal rendering is Web tabular
data, the standard rendering is Web tabular too just a bit more detailled.
This approach could also be taken for presenting the document, starting
with some simple examples using minimal conversation and then moving to
more elaborated one with the standard descriptions.

# www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-csv2json-20150416/

* A bit surprising to find "5. JSON-LD to JSON" here as the abstract reads
"This document defines the procedures and rules to be applied when
converting tabular data into JSON.". But "6. JSON-LD to RDF" in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-csv2rdf-20150416/ is also slightly
miss-located. At least, the documents those sections are in are not the
first ones I would consult to find this conversion algorithms. Considering
the fact that the two drafts csv2rdf and csv2json share a lot of concepts
and contain more that their title announces I would suggest making one main
document "X to Y" pointing to several specific docs. That main document
would list the conventions and have a table like :

     | CSV       | JSON-LD
--------------------------------
RDF  | rdf->csv  | rdf->json-ld
JSON | json->csv | json->json-ld

with each of the cell pointing to a specific document with the relevant
content and an extra set of columns/rows for XML. That table itself could
even be published using CSVW ;-)

# http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-tabular-metadata-20150416/

* 5.1.2 : Example 6 alone is not equivalent to example 7, it's the
combination of 5 and 6 that leads to 7

* In 5.1.3 the naming "http://example.org/example.csv#row.1" is different
than the, eg, "#row=2" used in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-csv2rdf-20150416/ . Not an issue as this is an
example showing what can be done (right ?) but this could be confusing.

* 5.11, as said earlier maybe good idea to add a datatype for json-ld ?

# http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-tabular-data-model-20150416/

* Just generally wonder about counting things starting from 1 and using
arrays which naturally count from 0. Starting all the counters for row
reference etc from 0 could be more consistent.

* A.2.3 "Excel provides more control when importing CSV files into Excel.".
Excel surely does not control much things when importing CSV into
LibreOffice ;-) so "Excel provides more control when importing CSV files"
would suffice. Speaking of LibreOffice(/OpenOffice) I think it would
deserve a A.5 as it is used by several public administrations as an open
source alternative to Excel.

--
Onderzoeker
DANS, Anna van Saksenlaan 51, 2593 HW Den Haag

*Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS/KNAW)*[image:
http://dans.knaw.nl] <http://dans.knaw.nl>

*e-Humanities Group (KNAW)*
[image: eHumanities] <http://www.ehumanities.nl/>

*World Wide Semantic Web community*