Re: Radio

Agree.  We won't tell people how to make their audio or video.  But we will
help create standards for how metadata is extracted from those files and
about how data governance decisions are communicated about how the files
are published.   Because when those files are published on an Open Data
Portal, they are data on the web.

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |public-dwbp-wg <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |03/31/2015 04:49 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Radio                                                                                                                                         |

I do listen to radio on the web, especially baseball games. There is tons
of data in a baseball game broadcast. But the fact that radio broadcasts
are available online doesn't make me feel that it is within our scope to
tell people how to make them.  I look at movies online, too, but I don't
think W3C will ever be writing standards for how to make good movies.
-Annette

On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> well sure, but almost every radio station on earth is broadcast on the
web.  I regularly listen to Danish and German radio in the car via
bluetooth from my smartphone to my car.

> Don't you listen to radio on the web?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"
>
> <graycol.gif>Annette Greiner ---03/31/2015 12:25:31 PM---This strikes me
as important work but way beyond even W3C's scope. I don't see sharing data
over the

> <ecblank.gif>
> From:
> <ecblank.gif>
> Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>
> <ecblank.gif>
> To:
> <ecblank.gif>
> Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS
> <ecblank.gif>
> Cc:
> <ecblank.gif>
> public-dwbp-wg <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
> <ecblank.gif>
> Date:
> <ecblank.gif>
> 03/31/2015 12:25 PM
> <ecblank.gif>
> Subject:
> <ecblank.gif>
> Re: Radio
>

> This strikes me as important work but way beyond even W3C's scope. I
don't see sharing data over the radio as relevant to publishing data on the
web. It's a different medium and will have different needs, worth an entire
set of best practices of their own. The recordings could be made available
on the web, and it will make sense to apply best practices for data sharing
to them, but I don't think our best practices should be driven by this
particular use case any more than they are driven by publishing in PDF. It
may be the best way to publish in some locales, but it's certainly not the
best way to publish for reuse.
> -Annette
>
> On Mar 31, 2015, at 7:11 AM, Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > I am working with several governments in Africa on Open Data.  In these
countries, internet penetration is at about 10-15%.  Illiteracy is between
45%-70%, depending on the region and country.  The principal tool for
communication is radio.  Even in the most remote farm regions, every farm
has a radio and more than a billion people tune in to radio shows the way
the West did in the 1930's and 40's.

> > In these countries, we will use Radio as the communication tool for
informing the public about Open Data and I want to make sure we include
this communication medium as a "file type" in which metadata must also be
communicated.  This requirement is bi-directional.

> > Outbound, it is necessary to build best practices in how metadata, data
processing, discovery, and retention rules are communicated over radio to
the public.  In many of these nations (and in many of our own as well)
distrust of government is universal and Open Data from government will be
distrusted by default.  Metadata will be key to conversations about the
Data that helps build public trust in the information.

> > Inbound, many Open Data portals will publish MP3 files containing the
radio broadcasts and podcasts about the Open Data and our Best Practices
must also apply to these file types.

> > I hope to add television broadcasts in the future, but radio is
probably enough for v1 of our recommendations.