RE: NY Property Tax Explorer

So, does our BP document only apply to data published in the future in the
file types we bless?

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Christophe Guéret <christophe.gueret@dans.knaw.nl>                                                                                                |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, Bart van Leeuwen <bart_van_leeuwen@netage.nl>                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |03/27/2015 11:40 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |RE: NY Property Tax Explorer                                                                                                                      |

Hoi,

We are not writing a document that describes how people publish and consume
open data, we are writing guidelines on how they can best do it.

The concept of "best" is obviously subjective but I hope we can at list
agree on some points.

I was recently sitting with people dealing with crisis. They need a lot of
data and when asking for it they sometimes get a PDF with a picture of a
hand written table in it. According to the publisher this is good open
data. Is it really so? The consumers spent a lot of time extracting the
data from it...

Our document could help there by letting the consumers having something to
help arguing with the publisher and hopefully get something more usable.

As for every best practices, there is no guarantee ours will be followed
but having somewhere an officially endorsed way of publishing good open
data will surely be welcomed by many data publishers and consumers.

Cheers,
Christophe

--
Sent with difficulties. Sorry for the brievety and typos...

Op 27 mrt. 2015 16:19 schreef "Makx Dekkers" <mail@makxdekkers.com>:
  Apologies for missing the call, again, today.

  In my mind, we really need to say what we mean with ‘best practice’. Do
  we really think we can define one best practice implying that all the
  rest is ‘bad practice’? I don’t think so. What I would like to see is
  ‘practice related to objectives’ and then try to determine what kinds of
  behaviour make sense for what kinds of objectives.

  For example, certain forms of PDF are really good if you want to enable
  out-loud reading of documents for the blind, but not so good to extract
  tabular information. If you want to make your tabular data useful for
  applications, there are better ways to publish the data than PDF.

  As I earlier argued for metadata best practices, I think the most useful
  kind of advice should be something like: if you want to do A, then if you
  publish data as X you will have the following advantages and
  disadvantages, and you should really consider format Y to increase
  usefulness of your data.

  Makx.