Re: Versioning

Hi Makx,

Thanks for your message! Good to know that we have some agreement :) I have
some comments:

> I do not agree that ‘Following’ creates different ‘states’ of the same
> dataset. To me, this year’s budget is only related to last year’s budget
> because they are both budgets, but they are not versions of the same thing.

I agree that they are not versions of the same thing. In this case, these
two datasets (last year's budget and this year's budget) won't be
explicitly related? I think we should find a way to specify this
relationship.

They may have the same granularity (e.g. expressed in thousands of dollars)
> but the structure could be different (e.g. because of organisational or
> regional changes). For me, time series (and spatial series) have nothing to
> do with versioning.

I agree that time series (and spatial series) have nothing to do with
versioning. However, I don't agree that the structure could be different.
If the structure is different, then there will be a new version, no?

> I do also not agree that ‘Adapting’ creates a new state (as in data at a
> particular moment). All adaptations are equally valid and exist in
> parallel. To me, adaptations are almost in the same category as the
> different formats that DCAT groups as Distributions of a Dataset.

I agree that all adaptations are equally valid and should exist in
parallel. Maybe, the term "state" is not suitable for this, but the idea is
to show that there is a relation between adaptations and the "original"
dataset.

> Finally, I do I agree that ‘Modifying’ creates a different state and not a
> new version. In many cases, a publisher might not even bother to keep the
> old file but would just change the dct:modified date in the metadata.

good!

Cheers,
Bernadette

> Do others agree with limiting versioning to the ‘Superseding’ category?
>

> Makx.

Bernadette Farias Lóscio
Centro de Informática