RE: BP 7, provide unique identifiers

My qualifier was “as far as these parts are likely to be interesting by themselves for direct access and re-use”. We could have examples of weather data (an identifier for the whole map versus identifiers for the data from individual sensors) or legislation (an identifier for a law versus identifiers for individual articles).

Makx.

From: Carlos Iglesias [mailto:carlos.iglesias.moro@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:22 AM
To: Makx Dekkers
Cc: Annette Greiner; Public DWBP WG
Subject: Re: BP 7, provide unique identifiers

I would propose the by-line to read:

"Data MUST be associated with a unique identifier"

Great, a BP title without the word "URI" in it would be the ideal (although that's will be the only implementation option later).

In the Why section there could then be a short discussion about the
granularity of the identification, e.g. not just datasets as a whole,
but also parts of datasets as far as these parts are likely to be
interesting by themselves for direct access and re-use.

Agree, provided that the discourse will be in the line of "the more granularity the best", not "you must have the biggest granularity level"

There is also a bit of duplication in the text: the Why section starts
with the same sentence as the approach section. This text should be only
in the approach section because it is about how it's done not why.

Makx.

--

---

Carlos Iglesias.