Re: [dwbp] BP - URI structure is not relevant for REST

Where did the issue tracker go? The link is broken.

I agree with all of Andreas' arguments except for the versioning one. I
don't think you meant to write what you just did, as you claim a
contradiction and then just reaffirm the very same thing in other words.

About URIs in RESTful APIs, I think he's right. Readable URIs may be a good
thing for developers to use, but that's got nothing to do with REST. The
important and essential requirement is that representations carry
hyperlinks to every next possible state in the application ("Hypermedia as
the Engine of Application State - HATEOAS"). This is easier said than done,
and requires careful designing APIs that way.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com> wrote:

If the intention is that HTTP URIs should be used, it's better not to say
> that URIs should be "technology agnostic".
>
> HTTP URIs are not technology-agnostic; they rely on the HTTP protocol
> which is a particular technology, and on DNS which is an implementation of
> a particular routing technology.
>
> I would suggest:
>
> "Use [...] HTTP-based Uniform Resource Identifiers (HTTP URIs) to address
> resources in a consistent way."

This is a valid point.

Best regards,
Augusto Herrmann