Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

hello laufer.

On 2015-08-19 20:37, Laufer wrote:
> Why are some of the group arguing that URI is the same as URL?

i don't think anybody has said it this generally.

> In semantic web we have the idea that any resource can be identified by
> a URI.  An URI is not only http URI.

as makx pointed out so well, and like you're saying, that's *the semweb
view*, so it's community consensus and more specific than a document
that tries to set best practices for the web.

generally speaking, an HTTP URI can identify whatever its creator
decides it identifies, and there is no constraint on how the nature of
the resource affects the URI. for example, http://dret.net/netdret/cv#pc
is a hash URI but simply refers to a document fragment. you cannot apply
the semweb rule here, because it's just a web URI.

i guess all that people are asking for right now is to not fight this
fight here. it has been fought over the past 10 years, since
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.1.3 was written and one
more time proved the point that political handwaving is not something
that should end up in a spec.

personally, i have used the term URI for the past 10 years since the
term URL has become obsolete back then. most people still prefer the
term URL because it is more widely known. annette pointed out that maybe
we don't have to try to end this 10-year debate, and maybe all we have
to do is to be consistent in our writing. i think that's a good idea.
personally, i think using the current spec term URI would be better, but
that decision probably should just be put to a vote.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |