Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

If http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me were a URL you'd have me personally
popping out of your screen every time you dereferenced it.

It is a URI, it is not not a URL.

I am not redefining anything, I am using the definitions as written in
the specs. We have both quoted the same text from the same source and
come to different conclusions.

Sorry, I don't like to be adamant about things, I'm always ready to
learn new things and be corrected. I am often wrong, but on this I am
confident of being correct.

The use of HTTP does not make a URI a URL. The fact that a URI
identifies a resource that has a location on the network is what makes
it a URL, whatever the scheme. So, to correct a mistake I made earlier,
ftp://example.foo is a URL if it returns whatever is identified by that.

Dereferencing http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me returns
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf that includes information about
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me.

It's a nuance, but it is what is at the heart of the difference between
the two terms.

Phil

--

Phil Archer