Re: Use machine-readable standardized data formats / Use non-proprietary data formats

hello all.

On 2015-08-15 07:13, Laufer wrote:
> I do not think is our job to talk about the data itself. We have a BP
> that talks about provenance and we are developing the DQV in a way to
> try to provide metadata to help the data consumer to better evaluate and
> trust the data she consumes.

100% agreed. a "best practices for data on the web" document should talk
about exactly that, and if somebody decides that they want to put
wrong/unchecked/contaminated data on the web, then so be it, and they
will be able to use the guidelines to do that in a more webby way.

anything else would venture deeply into "best practices for data
management and publishing" territory, and afaict, way too much of the
current spec tries to do that, instead of being focused on how to be
properly webby.

> The term webby data used by Erik is interesting and maybe we could
> extend his list of features and relate our BPs to these features.

more than happy to help, as long as we're talking about the webby parts
of the picture. web data is something that i came up with a little while
ago and i certainly intend to further develop the concept. any feedback
is very welcome, it's an open github project.

> Again, I think that a mature model and roadmaps (and now Erik's webby
> data list) could help the audience of our documents to better understand
> why we are proposing these practices as BPs for publishing data on the web.

i agree. from my perspective, when setting out to do something, it also
always is a good idea to say what you're not doing. my suggestion would
be for the BP to say that they're not doing anything that's related to
how to be properly webby. but given how the document looks now, that
would mean to eliminate most points, so maybe that's too extreme. but i
think the discussions around versioning, what data is, and what
metamodels to propose or not, have shown that it might make sense to
have a well-defined and narrow focus. at the very least that's what i
was hoping for initially, when the group started.

thanks and cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |