RE: Data Q&G vocabulary - report and questions for F2F

I strongly second Riccardo’s suggestion to base the work as much as possible on existing work, and in particular the DaQ vocabulary.

Let me also give the group a short report on the session on quality that I moderated at the Share-PSI worship in Timisoara last month. If you’re interested, the raw session notes are available at http://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/wiki/Timisoara/Scribe#Tuesday_17th_March_.2811:30_-_12:40_Parallel_Sessions_B.29.

A major outcome was that people in the session agreed that there are three main aspects of quality for which some form of metric (either quantitative or qualitative) is considered useful:

*         Availability

*         Processability

*         Accuracy/consistency/relevance

(These terms as defined and described in http://www.slideshare.net/OpenDataSupport/open-data-quality-29248578)

For availability, potential metrics that were mentioned were:

*         Yes/no, maybe with explanation why the data is not available (privacy, security, archived, lost, not yet captured etc.)

*         Open/restricted/registration, again possibly with explanation

*         For access/re-use

*         Indication of persistence and longevity

For processability:

*         Level on the 5-star scale (although there were opinions that it is dangerous to attach value to the linking because the data might be good but link to ‘bad’ data)

*         Links to metadata standards used and data model/schema to enable automatic processing

In the discussion related to the cluster accuracy/consistency/relevance, it was also noted that it might be useful to include some information about the context (e.g. why was the data created and what purpose is it supposed to serve).

On another level, the comment was made that quality is not a stable characteristic of a resource – some quality aspects deteriorate over time, e.g. what is fresh today will be stale tomorrow if it is not maintained, updated, refreshed.

At the end, we agreed to look at the ODI certificate approach to see how the elements of the certificate relate to the quality aspects that were discussed.

Hope this helps, Makx.