FW: DCMI Webinar - Approaches to Making Dynamic Data Citable: Recommendations of the RDA Working Group

Maybe interesting for people on this list:

From: ASIS&T Continuing Education [mailto:education@asis.org]
Sent: 02 April 2015 05:14
Subject: DCMI Webinar - Approaches to Making Dynamic Data Citable:
Recommendations of the RDA Working Group

 <http://www.asis.org>

Approaches to Making Dynamic Data Citable: Recommendations of the RDA
Working Group

Join us for a webinar on Apr 08, 2015 at 10:00 AM EDT.

FREE for ASIS&T and DCMI members; $25 for non-members

Register now!

<http://www.asis.org/Conferences/webinars/Webinar-DCMI-4-8-2015-register.htm
l>
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/webinars/Webinar-DCMI-4-8-2015-register.html

Being able to reliably and efficiently identify entire or subsets of data in
large and dynamically growing or changing datasets constitutes a significant
challenge for a range of research domains. In order to repeat an earlier
study, to apply data from an earlier study to a new model, we need to be
able to precisely identify the very subset of data used. While verbal
descriptions of how the subset was created (e.g. by providing selected
attribute ranges and time intervals) are hardly precise enough and do not
support automated handling, keeping redundant copies of the data in question
does not scale up to the big data settings encountered in many disciplines
today. Furthermore, we need to be able to handle situations where new data
gets added or existing data gets corrected or otherwise modified over time.
Conventional approaches, such as assigning persistent identifiers to entire
data sets or individual subsets or data items, are thus not sufficient.

In this webinar we will review the challenges identified above and discuss
solutions that are currently elaborated within the context of the working
group of the Research Data Alliance (RDA) on Data Citation: Making Dynamic
Data Citable. The approach is based on versioned and time-stamped data
sources, with persistent identifiers being assigned to the time-stamped
queries/expressions that are used for creating the subset of data. We will
further review results from the first pilots evaluating the approach.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing
information about joining the webinar.

 <http://support.citrixonline.com/s/G2W/Help/SystemRequirements> View System
Requirements

If you do not wish to receive any further electronic marketing
communications from ASIS&T you can opt-out completely, please note you will
no longer receive Association updates or any conference information you may
have subscribed to. To unsubscribe please send an e-mail to
<mailto:webinars@asis.org> webinars@asis.org.