Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

From:
"Lee, Deirdre" <Deirdre.Lee@deri.org>
To:
"'DWBP WG'" <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Date:
05/19/2014 12:04 PM
Subject:
Open Data liability issues

Hi,

As a follow-up on this thread, I was at Joel Gurin’s talk in the ODI last
Friday on ‘The value of open data to business’ [1] I asked him his views
on whether the ‘as is’ clause of Open Licenses, i.e. not accepting
liability is an obstacle for businesses reusing Open Data. He seemed a
little surprised by the question, but acknowledged it was an interesting
issue. Joel gave the example of Medicare recently releasing data about how
much doctors are paid, which could lead to potential liability issues,
however this isn’t an example of third-party reuse. He said he’d be
interested in our findings.

As Joel works with a lot of Open Data companies with the Open Data 500
project, and liability doesn’t seem to have registered as an issue for him
signalled to me:
a)      We’re ahead of the game thinking about such issues J, or
b)      Liability isn’t an issue for actual business re-users of Open
Data!

Cheers,
Deirdre

[1]