From: Leigh Dodds [leigh@ldodds.com]
Sent: 03/24/2014 02:31 PM GMT
To: Steven Adler
Cc: Ig Ibert Bittencourt <ig.ibert@gmail.com>; Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>; public-dwbp-wg <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Data on the Web Life Cycle

I agree that defining license terms and specific licences is out of scope,
but I think that its a best practice to publish data with licensing
information clearly defined, in both a human and machine-readable form.
That can be captured and recommended without restricting to specific
licences.

I've done some work in this area already:

http://theodi.org/guides/publishers-guide-to-the-open-data-rights-statement-vocabulary
http://theodi.org/guides/odrs-reusers-guide

Data published without licensing isn't really fit for reuse as otherwise
you can't determine what is legally permitted.

L.

Leigh Dodds
Freelance Technologist
Open Data, Linked Data Geek