What does a dataset contain?

From: Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 19:22:52 +0000
To: public-dwbp-wg <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

I wanted to share a couple of blog posts I wrote last year about
describing datasets which I think are relevant to this groups
activities.

The first explores different definitions of dataset:

http://blog.ldodds.com/2013/02/09/what-is-a-dataset/

This might help when considering different perspectives on best
practices and what is being described.

The second is more directly relevant. In this post I try and set out a
conceptual framework for how datasets can be described, in order to
make their content, structure, etc accessible to re-users:

http://blog.ldodds.com/2013/03/04/what-does-a-dataset-contain/

In my view its a best practice to publish at least the "Descriptive"
and "Access" metadata for a dataset (and we have vocabularies for
doing that).

The other categories all help address issues of quality and utility:
is this dataset fit for my purposes?

Publishing "Indicator" metadata also helps build trust: knowing that
as dataset is being updated, is being consumed by others, etc can help
build confidence that it's can be relied upon.

Importantly, I think these categories largely cut across details of
how a dataset is actually published (download, api, linked data, etc),
so may be a good starting point for teasing out useful requirements.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds