RE: APIs to work with data on the web

Forgot … nothing wrong with having APIs in addition to URIs; but it is essential to have URIs.

From: Laufer [mailto:laufer@globo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:24 PM
To: Steven Adler
Cc: CARRASCO BENITEZ Manuel (DGT); Deirdre.Lee@deri.org; mail@makxdekkers.com; Newton Calegari; DWBP WG
Subject: Re: APIs to work with data on the web

Steve, Manuel,
I am not talking only about the Resources. Or, what are the things that are exposed as Resources.
For example, in DBpedia there is a Resource for the album Houses of the Holy (http://dbpedia.org/page/Houses_of_the_Holy).
There is also a Resource for the record label Atlantic Records (http://dbpedia.org/page/Atlantic_Records), which is the record label from the album Houses of the Holy.
What is the URI of all albums of the record label Atlantic Records?
My question is: could it be one Best Practice, recommended by of DWBP WG, to provide a way of exposing the "Resource" All Albums of the Record Label Atlantic Records?
Best Regards,
Laufer

Thanks.  A few people have agreed with our position below, but some still like the idea of API's for accessing Data.  What is the process W3C uses to resolve these points of view and when it is resolved, does the conclusion get written into the Best Practices draft and/or do we also include the lineage of the conclusion - that is, we we present the pros and cons and reasons for the conclusion by also relating what we didn't recommend and why?

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

<Manuel.CARRASCO-BENITEZ@ec.europa.eu<mailto:Manuel.CARRASCO-BENITEZ@ec.europa.eu>>

Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, <Deirdre.Lee@deri.org<mailto:Deirdre.Lee@deri.org>>

<mail@makxdekkers.com<mailto:mail@makxdekkers.com>>, <newton@nic.br<mailto:newton@nic.br>>, <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>>

03/18/2014 08:21 AM

RE: APIs to work with data on the web

+1

-        Resources should be addressable with a URI
-        One should aim a common interface for humans and machine

http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Data_on_the_Web_URI_Best_Practices

Regards
Tomas