Re: Data citation principles

On 27 Feb 2014, at 17:10 , Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> The citation principles are useful.  We just had a call with the CIO of Palo Alto two weeks ago in which we asked him if he was documenting the lineage, including public official signoffs, of their published data and of course they are not.  No one publishing Open Data is doing this yet.
>
> Endorsing these principles and including them in our Best Practices is very helpful.

In any case, it would be interesting to get the opinion of this group on the principles...

> But we can go further in the vocabularies by documenting specifically how these principles can be implemented in metadata, which would be very powerful.

Right. Two things worth noting on this:

- The citation principles are really just that: citations. Ie, when formulating the principles, we were very careful not to impose a particular implementation of what the principles rely on, eg, on the unique identification of data (or portions of data). As I told Eric, there is now a new group that is being proposed on the implementation of these principles:

http://force11.org/datacitationimplementation

I am not yet sure what it will produce, but there is a potential for overlap. We should certainly try to avoid that. (Note that I have signed up for that group.)

- On the vocabulary: there is a proposal on the table for that, namely the PSO ontology, defined by David Shotton and Silvio Peroni

http://purl.org/spar/pso

I am not very familiar with all the details of that ontology, ie, I am just passing the information at this point...

Ivan

> Thank you!
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"
>

> From:	Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
> To:	public-dwbp-wg@w3.org
> Date:	02/27/2014 04:49 AM
> Subject:	Data citation principles
>

> Dear all,
>
> I have been part of an international group that developed a set of 'Data citation principles' to be used in scholarly communications when referring to data. The group did a good job (I believe) in synthesizing a number of independent initiatives that existed before (see http://www.force11.org/node/4785 for the list of participants). The principles are here:
>
> http://www.force11.org/datacitation
>
> I guess this is very relevant to this group as a background information.
>
> There is also the possibility of 'endorsing' those principles; this can be done either as individuals or as institutions:
>
> http://www.force11.org/datacitation/endorsements
>
> Any endorsement is of course welcome (the page opened yesterday, so the number of endorsement is still low at this moment:-) The more the merrier:-)
>
> Ivan
>
> ----
> Ivan Herman, W3C
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153
> GPG: 0x343F1A3D
> FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf
>

> [attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Steven Adler/Somers/IBM]

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead