Re: DWBP Audience

Hi Lewis,

Thank you very much for your comments and proposals!

I also have some comments:

Lewis.J.Mcgibbney@jpl.nasa.gov>:

>  Hi Bernadette,
>
>  I’m a bit late to this conversation but have read and understand that
> changes which have now been made since you originally proposed this section
> for inclusion.
> I have the following proposals in addition to what is on the wiki as of
> Dec 5th 2014.

Thanks!

> "This document provides guidance to those who publish data on the Web, but
> also to those who consume data on the Web."
>
> Are we making a differentiation between people who “consume data on the
> Web” and “consume data from the Web”? I understand that the working group
> name is Data on the Web Best Practices, so I think it I important to get
> this right.

If I understood correct, I think we should provide best practices for those
who consume data on the Web,for example someone who is interested on
developing an application that uses data available on the Web to produce a
visualization for final users. Does it make sense for you?

Additionally, what aspects of the current working document [0] concerns
> “those who consume data on the Web”? Right now I see very little. My
> understanding is that the document is best practices guidance aimed more
> towards “…those who publish data on the Web”. I do however also see similar
> language presented at the very beginning of the current working document.
> What seems to be missing however is the actual content relating to “those
> who consume data on the Web”. Can we clarify?

[0] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html

Yes, the current version is more focused  on the data publisher. However,
aspects like data enrichment and feedback are related to data consumers.
Maybe, later on more aspects related to data consumers will be identified.
Do you have any suggestion of how to clarify this?

"These best practices have been written to meet the needs of many different
> audiences from developers and information management staff to scientists
> interested on sharing data on the Web. Every attempt has been made to make
> the document as readable and usable as possible while still retaining the
> accuracy and clarity needed in a technical specification.”
>
> We seem to be using terminology for “guidance” and “best practices”
> synonymously/interchangeably.  I am not sure that this is a good idea. I
> would proposed that we either stick with either one or the other. The
> difference here would be that guidance is suggested but of
> secondary/tertiary importance whereas best practice is moving towards 5
> star data on the Web.

I agree with you! I'm gonna replace guidance for best practice.

> "Readers of this document are expected to be familiar with some
> fundamental concepts of the architecture of the Web [1], such as resources
> and URIs, as well as open data formats [ref]. Basic knowledge about
> vocabularies and ontologies would be helpful to better understand some
> aspects of this document.”
>
> I think that we should clarify exactly where "…some aspects of this
> document.” are. This could maybe be a footnote of these are permitted.

I'm not sure if we can use footnotes. Maybe, we can be more clear about
this on the text, but I'm not sure of how to do this. The aspects are the
ones related to vocabularies, but i think it looks strange if we write: "Basic
knowledge about vocabularies and ontologies would be helpful to better
understand best practices related to vocabularies.”

Do you have a better suggestion?

Hopefully the criticism/commentary can be taken positively. Thank you for
> proposing the Audience as this is a part of any document I immediately
> navigate towards if it is available.

Thanks again for your comments! This kind of feedback is really important
and helpful!

Bernadette

> Thank you
>
> Lewis
>

>   Dr. Lewis John McGibbney PhD, B.Sc., MAGU
> Engineering Applications Software Engineer Level 2
> Computer Science for Data Intensive Systems Group 398M
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory
> California Institute of Technology
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive
> Pasadena, California 91109-8099
> Mail Stop : 158-256C
> Tel:  (+1) (818)-393-7402
> Cell: (+1) (626)-487-3476
> Fax:  (+1) (818)-393-1190
> Email: lewis.j.mcgibbney@jpl.nasa.gov
>

>   Dare Mighty Things
>
>   From: Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>
> Date: Monday, December 1, 2014 at 6:22 AM
> To: "public-dwbp-wg@w3.org" <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
> Subject: DWBP Audience
>
>   Hi all,
>
>  I just included the description of the DWBP audience in the wiki [1].
>
>  Looking forward for receiving  your comments and suggestions.
>
>  kind regards,
> Bernadette
>
>  [1] https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/2._Audience
>

>  --
> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> Centro de Informática
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

Bernadette Farias Lóscio
Centro de Informática