Re: Taxonomy of legal bases

Bud, Harsh,

On Montag, 8. April 2019 16:55:21 CEST Harshvardhan J. Pandit wrote:
> I disagree with this point. I think A29WP used 'regular' consent to
> refer to all valid consent, and therefore 'explicit' consent is the
> subset of 'regular' consent.

you're losing yourself in a circular term based argumentation. The name is not
the definition.

If you look at GDPR and the introductory considerations, "consent" is a
slider. There are minimum requirements with words in GDPR and definitions
given by the Art. 29 WP

1/ Free
2/ Specific
3/ Informed
4/ Unambiguous indication of will

 ==> consent

Now, we consider things a bit more sensitive, say location data.

In this case, the requirements on 1-4 are higher. The old 2002/58EC ePrivacy
required e.g. that a device shows if the location information is active. It
also had higher expectations on 4/, so just a pre-ticked box would not be
sufficient.

And then, on the very end of the slider is Art. 9 with the special categories
of data with a legal definition of requirements on "explicit". A consent that
fulfills Art. 9 requirements fulfills (by construction) ALL consent
requirements and thus is ALWAYS valid.

I said to Axel that we are ALWAYS in a taxonomy in law as there are clear
hierarchies (if you want to know why, google for "Kelsen"). This is not in
anyway different here, except it is perhaps an upside down view as Art. 9 has
the strongest requirements. But the tree here goes from light to heavy.

In all this, terms like "regular", "normal" or "italian" consent are just made
up by people outside the legislation process. Sometimes they are useful,
sometimes they aren't. It doesn't matter whether we talk about "simple" or
"regular" consent as long as it is clear that 1-4 are at minimum.

BTW, below 1-4 you can link many more sub-requirements that we can rate by
security/severity of the risk and calculate that like entropy.  This system
will be probably more consistent than the courts who will do the same, but in
a more disordered way.

 --Rigo