Re: Taxonomy of legal bases

Hi Bud,

When I first talked about his work in this group I raised this issue, that consent in the GDPR is not 100% operational, and we can get the farthest be focusing on explicit consent.

I honestly think that Article 29WP went out of their way not to name it.  In such a circumstance, consent become prior art, or common law, aka cultural.  I think the word ‘regular; is not usable as a consent type and believe reading to deeply here is causing the issue.

I would caution this CG in terms of having such a narrow technical focus on GDPR compliance, that the focus is blinding this effort to the purpose and intent of the GDPR in the first place.

Even in the GDPR, the reasonable expectation of privacy, and in this expected context, consent, is 'regular’ or ‘normal types’ of consent.   Consent as a term is a direct reference to social norms and culture, aka the reasonable expectation of privacy.

A regulator prescribing what consent is defeats the purpose of the law.

- Mark

  PS.   As I am sociologist and very much like the anthropology of consent in society I would refer to addition references and understanding.  There is a lot of history in this topic, I recommend brushing through some of these.

The History and Theory of Informed Consent <https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oivnCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=legal+history+of+consent&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT5sKViMHhAhXxSBUIHUjUDBEQ6AEINDAC#v=onepage&q=legal%20history%20of%20consent&f=false>
Consent in the Law <https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=auDbBAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=legal+history+of++consent+law&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9_OztjcHhAhWBsnEKHZQxAXkQ6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=legal%20history%20of%20%20consent%20law&f=false>
 reference  <https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AgFLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA8&dq=history+of+implied+consent+law&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij86fYjMHhAhXFrHEKHXypDbgQ6AEIQTAE#v=onepage&q=history%20of%20implied%20consent%20law&f=false>to Implied Consent In England & Ireland <https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AgFLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA8&dq=history+of+implied+consent+law&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij86fYjMHhAhXFrHEKHXypDbgQ6AEIQTAE#v=onepage&q=history%20of%20implied%20consent%20law&f=false>