Re: Lawfulness of processing

Thanks for the lucid clarifications Eva & Rigo!
So, coming as a non-legal layman, legitimate interest can be defined as
something upon which the provision of business/service/goods is based
on, and without which it cannot be provided/operated. And this should
not override the fundamental rights of the data subject as clarified by
the GDPR.

However, I have found it very tricky to determine if something can be
classified as legitimate interest as not (makes sense, I don't have a
law degree), especially when looking at privacy policies that specify
some personal data as being "necessary".

For the DPVCG, would we like to delve deeper to also provide a taxonomy
to specify terms associated with legitimate interest? And thus forth,
for other legal basis?

I think this would postpone the first draft due to the work involved,
but can be something to note down, and perhaps work later?

Best,
Harsh

On 07/11/18 8:48 PM, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:11:53 AM CET Eva Schlehahn wrote:
>> Second, they cannot simply diminish the data subject's right to
>> object wrt the direct marketing purposes. Article 21 para. 2 GDPR
>> explicitly says that the data subject *always* has a right to
>> object when data are processed for direct marketing purposes at
>> any time. This also affects any profiles that were built in the
>> context of such direct marketing.
>
> Adding to Eva...
>
> The cool part is that if you send them a DNT:1, you objected
> according to Art. 21 (5) GDPR, which is pretty powerful. In that
> case they can't overwrite the user's will with "legitimate
> interest".
>
> Legitimate interest is certainly not the legitimate interest of one
> party only. That would be easy as that would mean no GDPR
> whatsoever. Or every data collector could just define a "legitimate"
> interest in data collection and ignore the data subject. I don't
> think the main stream interpretation would support that ...
>
>   --Rigo

Harshvardhan J. Pandit
PhD Researcher
ADAPT Centre, Trinity College Dublin