Re: Media Queries & Details/Summary for extended descriptions

Sigh. This stuff has a great potential, it would be a pity to let it go. It actually touches on a different area that the DPUB community also feels strongly about, namely the fact that in all ebook reader apps it is possible to change the font, the background colour, etc, of the display, whereas in browsers these facilities practically never exists. "Personalization", as we refer to it in our interest group.

But I agree with you that this goes beyond WAI. I am not sure where to do it; it may have to be a separate Working Group but probably in a different domain.

I did not pay attention on the discussion around the dissolution of the IndieUI WG. Were there discussions about another domain picking up the work? Or was it simply put to sleep without further action?

Thanks

Ivan

> On 14 Feb 2016, at 11:05, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 9, 2016, at 6:53 AM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com <mailto:shane@aptest.com>> wrote:
>>
>> P.S.  If anyone wants to work on a general user preference setting / getting mechanism with me (tacked onto media-queries or not), I am up for it.
>
> That's what Indie UI Context was intended to be. I'm still hopeful we can get some aspects of of it into a general Web spec. These two are the most relevant for Shane's interest.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-context.html#UserSettings <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-context.html#UserSettings>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-context.html#privacy-model <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-context.html#privacy-model>
>
> After a while though, it became clear that the ideas would not be successful as a WAI-managed project, which is one of the reasons we dissolved the group. The aspects that fit well directly into CSS are likely to be maintained by the CSS WG. The more general interface could be picked up by a number of specs, the most logical being HTML or another WebApps-managed spec.
>
> I no longer have the cycles available to shepherd the effort of the general interface, but if you can drum up additional interest, I'd put my support behind it and contribute what I can.
>
> James

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead