Re: proliferation of reference roles in the dpub aria spec.

AFAIK (and per[1]), the acceptable link type (a.k.a. possible values for @rel) are registered through the microformat wiki page[2]. Do we have enough information on whether this registration mechanism really works well for implementers? How easy/difficult is it to add new @rel values if so required? Just to take examples from this thread, rel=biblioentry is labelled as "dropped" (ie, not to be used), and rel=glossentry is unregistered. I must admit I do not know how [3] functions in practice. And I also do not know how AT's take @rel values into account (if at all).

I do not have any strong opinion, just not clear what the mechanism is in practice…

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#linkTypes <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#linkTypes>
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values <http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values#HTML5_link_type_extensions>

> On 09 Oct 2015, at 10:24 , Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 02:17:09 +0200, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> As I said, I have had somewhat of a concern about the numerous definition of roles that are essentially links. The Coga task force wants to introduce and aria-destination attribute for links to create standard destinations users would go to to enable consistent style of the UI for familiarity to the user.
>
> See the aria-destination attribute from coga: https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/issue-papers/links-buttons.html <https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/issue-papers/links-buttons.html>
>
> So for these roles I would prefer to have:

> similarly:

> This would cause us to start folding in some of the coga features into ARIA 1.1.
>
> Feedback? Coga has similar needs.
>
> This is what the rel= attribute is for. Which makes it easier to extend the functionality without needing an assistive tech plugged in to the accessibility API.
>
> cheers
>

> Rich
>

> Rich Schwerdtfeger
>

> --
> Charles McCathie Nevile - web standards - CTO Office, Yandex
> chaals@yandex-team.ru - - - Find more at http://yandex.com <http://yandex.com/>

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead