Re: Extension specifications / modules vs. ARIA Core (ACTION-1618)

Fred,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Fred Esch <fesch@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Shane,
>
> I anticipate that the SVG a11y task force will want to create new roles
> for objects in graphics. We imagine the roles will be needed for navigation
> and assistive technologies. I doubt graphics roles will extend existing
> roles as graphic and charts in particular have their own terms and uses.
> For instance some roles we may want are data, axis, legend, label, scale,
> symbol and a few more.  These things have semantic meaning in charts, maps,
> blue prints and STEM graphics. Making graphics roles extend existing aria
> roles which relate to web pages would be forced and unnatural.

Of course.  But as you know ARIA Core has high level abstract roles from
which the whole taxonomy hangs.  It should be possible to extend those
abstract roles for the SVG work.  If it is not, then the taxonomy is at
fault and we need to introduce new high level abstract roles as well.  I
hope that is not the case, but if it were I envision that it would be done
in the Core spec so that it would remain consistent.  Does that make sense?

--
Shane McCarron