RE: todays meeting

I am including a few more folks to tie some activities together.
CSUN is next week and I am sure I will see many of you.

I have an Action Item from the last BISG accessibility call:
-BISG: Action Item for George: What is a Born Accessible Publication | What is the baseline  for accessibility | Where is the accessibility Bar? consensis standard

I also note the US Access Board is holding meetings on their 508 and 255 refresh at CSUN. The URL is:
http://www.access-board.gov/
And it says:
Because WCAG 2.0 was written to be technology neutral, the language and phrasing of the Success Criteria can be applied to any technology found on the
Web. Since most file types are found on the Web and much software is now Web-enabled, it is reasonable to utilize WCAG 2.0 to evaluate off-line documents
and software interfaces with straightforward substitution of terms to address this new application. This approach has the potential to significantly simplify
accessibility conformance and assessment.

I would propose that accessibility folks from the various working groups:
1. Build a practicle concensis (publishers, education,  and disability community)  definition of digital publishing accessibility and tie this to the WAI WCAG 2.0 A and AA criteria.
2. Identify mechanisms to assert conformance using metadata standards.
3. Determine how users who need enhancements beyond the baseline e.g. longer descriptions, tactile graphics and 3D models,  can get that kind of support.
4. Figure out how to evolve the above, e.g. raise the bar, build more into metadata, identify software to check accessibility, etc.
My thought is that the development of a clear baseline is what could focus much of our work.

Thoughts welcome

Best
George