Re: Ontology of disaster management and updates from Mfu

Quentin,

I just managed to read your paper and some of the good follow up comments
(thanks a lot for the mention Quentin)

http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/qhallida/DisasterManagementFinal.html

Is there a way we can consolidate Quentin's  input and relating
followups on the incubator's wiki  of do we want to use another wiki
(maybe one with more functionalities) then we can place a link on the
incubator page/wiki to where the work is going to be?
(wherever for me is OK)

At a recent conference her at Mfu iI met some great people, but all
the visiting cards on my desk currently say 'disaster' -
Oliver, Executive Coordination for Asian disaster preparedness center,
Pak, Exec Operations for national disaster warning center,
Siriluk, chief Resarch for disaster prevention and mitigation Bureau, etc

Luckily, none says 'disaster management', but I still feel the need
for clearer definitions and possibly translations.

I gave a presentation  trying to knit a simple ontology sweater to fit
a local framework, with some very peculiar local conditions (language,
culture, politics) etc, in conjunction with a proposal for a test set

The conference had a scientific focus on forecasting methods, but
people did not remain indifferent to the suggestion
Gilbert Rochon, from Purdue University Terrestrial Observatory, has
been involved in Katrina events and seemed  very positive about the
proposed work.
it was so interesting to have them all in one room, Maybe I ll do a
write up when I have a moment

Although internet usage is limited and understanding of semantic
technologies is not a proirity per se over here, t there is great will
to optimize resources and a sense of urgency - I think we need
'guidelines' as to what kind of goals and artifacts we should start
developing and mechanisms to create cohesion between communities and
institutions

This ontology for disaster preparedness and emergency management is
going to be huge and our aggregates notes are already in need of more
'structure'

Shall we start with some organisation of the content and ideas?
 I mean in order for me to elicit the input of the local experts, I
need something coherent to point them to

While I know more or less what do to, I think this should be a group effort,

At the ontolog forum earlier this year we  agreed on a 'framework' to
help us developing ontologies incorporating various dimension and
perspectives

would people feel this is an appropriate blueprint to develop our work around?

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_FrameworksForConsideration/DimensionsMap

So, I see the need for the following steps

- comprehensive and widely acceptable  definitions of the top level
keywords for our domains
- (possibly translations and local community experts to provide
essential interaction with the local level)

- a directory of global and local organizations who are responsible
for policy and operational implementations in each
country/region/globally

- guidelines for individual research groups and communities to start
contributing

other?

thoughts?

cheers