Re: Proposal for a domain

Soenke, Wei -
thanks for joining the list and for getting the ball rolling

Two points for further discussion:

1. In an earlier thread, I wonder whether 'disaster management' is the best
definition. Others whom I work with on this issue,   support the view that
'disaster' is not the best word that we should use for a number of reasons.
examples: disaster is the last stage of a crisis, also it is a very generic
term, etc. We prefer 'emergency mangemnet'. Therefore we propose that the
name of this list, and all realted issues are changed to 'emergengy
management'
I can forward to this list the discussions that have already taken place if
you are interested

2. The risk with starting with one domain, is that we do not sufficiently
generalize the problem definition, therefore we will end up with a knowledge
representation that only applies to 'fly pandemic' or either flu, or either
pandemic, ie a narrow problem
Starting from one domain is a possible approach, but we should explore
alternatives

Another possibility, perhaps a bit more ambitious, is to start defining a
'top level' domain for emergency management, and make sure that the
'subdomain definitions'  all fit in there. This will allow us to work the
foundations of  a framework that can be applied to any domain.

Just thoughts

Cheers
Paola Di Maio

On 6/8/07, Xu, Wei <Wei.Xu@tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Dear Soenke,
>
> First of all, I would like to introduce myself. I'm a PhD student working
> on the topic "Geo-information and formal semantic for disaster management",
> OTB, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands.
>
> I submitted to the mail-list of W3C Incubator Group and read your letter
> just now. You suggested we start by a specific domain or a sapmle crisis,
> which I fully agree. However, do you think in the future we will model
> different types of disaster? Or do you think it is better if we define
> different types of disaster by means of the management processes? Do you
> think if it is better if we abstract all the basic processes of managing a
> disaster. For instance, the process of traffice control, which is
> independent of any types of disaster --- it doesn't matter if the disaster
> is caused by hurricane, by an exploration or whatever (in the Netherlands,
> at the moment, the processes of managing disaster is well-studied and
> modeled).  I think it is difficult to define a certain type of disaster,
> because if we define the types of disaster, there are more things we need to
> think about, for instance, the damage levels of disasters, the people
> involved in the management work of disasters and ect.
>
> It to me, how to model disaster management, remains unclear. But I do
> agree with you, we need to start by a specific domain and a sample.
>
> Thank you for reading.
>
> Kind Regards
> Wei XU

Paola Di Maio *****