RE: Draft XG Charter

I do not believe Karin's statement is only "partially true" but rather
"mostly" or "usually" true - which is an important distinction.  Using the
term "permission" rather than "invitation" may help us arrive at concensus
on thjis issue.

All international organizations - including UN agencies - operate only at
the invitation and with the permission of the host governments.  Once they
have a registered office in the country, that does not mean that they can
carry out any program within the country without the host government's
permission.  UN agencies, international organizations and NGOs have detailed
negotiations with governments over the scope of their programs to be carried
out - not carte blance to do whatever they want.

It is true that established international organizations are better
positioned to respond to natural disasters or other emergencies, but again
they usually do so with the permission and with notification to the host
government.  It goes a bit beyond manners - as cowboy organizations are
likely to find their official programs suspended or revoked or not renewed
at the end of the year - if they offend the host government agreement for
their operations.

You point out some very specific and limited exceptions.  The international
communities response to civil conflicts without host government permission -
is an extremely rare occurrence - as you point out Northern Iraq, Southern
Sudan - you could add Bosnia-Herzegovina and Somalia to the list as well -
and these steps were taken only after much difficult discussion and
negotiation and then only under the banner of the UN (or Coalition forces)
authority and with very specific rules being put in place to respect
sovereignty to the extend possible.  These are very rare exceptions to the
rule of operating only with host government permission.

There are certainly international organizations that once established in
country - will be able to respond to a disaster.  But they should continue
to do so only with the permission of the host country.  Failing to do so is
not good practice.

Best regards,
Mark