Primers on Verifiable Claims, Decentralized Identifiers, Functional Identity & Self-Sovereign Identity

From: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@blockstream.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 00:56:54 -0700
To: "W3C Credentials CG (Public List)" <public-credentials@w3.org>, "W3C Digital Verification CG (Public List)" <public-digital-verification@w3.org>, "W3C Verifiable WG (Public List)" <public-vc-wg@w3.org>
As part of the #RebootingWebOfTrust Design Workshop we ask our
attendees to suggest
topics and offer advance readings
<https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/tree/master/topics-and-advance-readings>
for
everyone to read before our event.

In particular, we wrote up 4 primers to help align language for those who
are new to the community. You may find them useful to share in your own
discussions to introduce these technologies to others.

   - Verifiable Claims Primer
   <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/verifiable-claims-primer.md>
   - DID (Decentralized Identifier) Primer
   <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/did-primer.md>
   - Functional Identity Primer
   <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/functional-identity-primer.md>
   - Self-Sovereign Identity Primer
   <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/self-sovereign-identity-primer.md>

As always, we encourage comments & suggestions on how to improve these
document in the issues
<https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/issues>
for the repo.

— Christopher Allen

P.S. It is not too late to register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rebootingweboftrust-design-workshop-v-fall-2017-in-boston-area-usa-tickets-34984665075>
& participate in #RebootingWebOfTrust (Oct 3-5 in Boston). If you submit an
advance reading of a topic you care about before next weekend, we offer a
75% discount for US/Canada attendees, or 50% for non-US/Canada attendees
(as we already give them a substantial discount).