Re: Ownership of content

Amitav,

my impression is that this type of discussion should be taken up with what we call the Web Platform WG, taking care of the evolution of HTML. The best approach for this is to consider putting a note to:

https://discourse.wicg.io/ <https://discourse.wicg.io/>

and see the feedbacks you get there. One of the usual mechanisms in that WG is to have some sort of an incubating discussion on that forum to see if there is enough momentum to take it further.

Sincerely

Ivan Herman

> On 10 Nov 2016, at 20:35, Amitav Mohanty <amitavmohanty01@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey
>
> I have a proposition about the ownership of content and some use cases where this can be relevant. I am not very sure whether it should be an HTML element or a CSS property. I would like your advice on it. Also, I am new to this and if this is not the correct procedure, please guide me in the right direction.
>
> Objective:
> Various content in a web page should be allowed to be tagged as one of the following.
> - first party content: typically content that the owner of the web page created or owns
> - second party content: content like comments and other user interactions where the client(s) created the content
> - third party content: typically ads, search bar powered by some search engine, embedded maps, recommendations, etc fall into this category
>
> The above classification can be used in creating views in browsers: for example reader view can be made more focused by selecting only first party content. The user can have better control over whether to allow third part content or not.
>
> I understand that web sites owners can easily violate this intention by showing ads in first party content section. So, this more or less operates in good faith that web sites will tag data appropriately.
>
> Possible implementations:
> 1. as HTML elements

> <first_party>This is my content</first_party>
> <second_party>This is a commented by my reader</second_party>
>
> 2. as properties

> I hope I am not talking complete rubbish. I welcome your feedback.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Amitav

----
Ivan Herman, W3C