Re: As an aside, a possibly interesting read....

David, you may be interested to know that assigning ISBNs to books has had
precisely this sort of problem. Publishers really have to use their
judgment if they publish the same book with two different covers - and
this causes confusion in the marketplace. It is also at the crux of why
ISBNs are not as widely adopted in the ebook world - is the Kindle edition
really that different from the EPUB? The ISBN manual says yes, they need
two different numbers; many publishers just assign an ISBN to “the ebook
version” regardless of that version’s format. So these are problems we’ve
been grappling with from the inception of the ISBN in the 1970s, whether
identifying print or digital products.

When I was at B&N, it used to make me crazy that publishers would “re-use”
ISBNs - that messed up our systems like nothing else.