Re: As an aside, a possibly interesting read....

Yes, even at Bowker we made them a repeatable attribute on the ISBN record.

From:  "Madans, Phil" <Phil.Madans@hbgusa.com>
Date:  Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM
To:  Laura Dawson <ljndawson@gmail.com>, Graham Bell <graham@editeur.org>,
Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, W3C
Subject:  Re: As an aside, a possibly interesting read....

I stand corrected on the assignment of the ISTC. Bad choice of words.  I was
speaking more on how I would have to manage them internally on the systems
level―that’s how I think about these things―and that would be as an
attribute.  That  all depends on how titles systems are structured, and I’m
not saying ours is the best way to do things, but I think the way we do it
is how most do it these days. From a practical standpoint, I’m not sure how
else I could handle them. IF I publish an English and Spanish edition of a
work, and the ISTC’s are different, then they would be attributes of the
ISBNs so that I could keep them linked internally.  We are already doing
this, as is most everyone else, and I think that is why the ISTC was such a
hard sell.

Phil Madans | Executive Director of Digital Publishing Technology | Hachette
Book Group | 237 Park Avenue NY 10017 |212-364-1415 | phil.madans@hbgusa.com
<mailto:david.young@hbgusa.com>