Re: Quotation marks in multilingual text

On 03/03/14 18:47, Richard Ishida wrote:
> [resending to public-digipub list, please don't reply to previous attempt]
>

> There is a bug[1] raised against HTML5 to change the CSS used to render
> quotation marks around the q element.
>
> Appropriate quotation marks vary from language to language. The bug was
> raised because the current spec text puts quote marks outside the q
> element that reflect the language of the quoted text, rather than that
> of the surrounding text.

Excellent point...

> un «two 'drei ‚vier‘ fünf' six» sept
>
> or
>
> un «two "drei „vier“ fünf" six» sept

The "Règles Typographiques en usage à l'Imprimerie Nationale" for
french don't mention such a case. If I read correctly, the foreign (for
french) prose is unmodified so their quotes should remain unchanged,
without caring about the outer nesting level. I am not 100% sure about
it though.

FWIW, the same authoritative book does not give «» and <> for french
nesting. «» are also used for inner quotes.

</Daniel>