Re: [latinreq] Grids? (baseline grids)

On 1/10/14, 9:57 AM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 1/10/14, 9:26 AM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:
>
>>On 1/10/14 11:57 AM, "Scott Kellum" <scott@scottkellum.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Regarding more advanced page layouts like in magazines. Many some people
>>>on this thread might not care about them much but for me, I am in this
>>>group to bring that perspective. There is very little support available
>>>for these types of layouts in any digital
>>> medium but for my use cases multi-column layout with baseline grid
>>>alignment is important.
>>>

>>I'd love to get descriptions of some of these requirements, as I expect
>>many apply to all sorts of material.
>
>It doesn’t take very ‘advanced’ layout to see the need for a baseline
>grid. The “More from A List Apart” section could benefit from having the
>baselines align:
>
>http://alistapart.com/

Here are some quick thoughts on baseline grids that could be added on to:

A baseline grid is a series of evenly-spaced horizontal alignment lines.
This is used to provide a vertical rhythm for a design, to align adjacent
content (text or graphics), and to align baselines on facing pages in
printed material.

The grid lines can be spaced at line-height intervals or a factor of
line-height.

Content can be aligned to the grid in various ways. Roman body text
typically sets the baseline on a grid line. Graphics might have their top,
bottom or both set on grid lines, or be centered between grid lines. Text
blocks (consider a multi-line heading with line-height at 1.4x grid
height) might have their last baseline or first baseline on a grid line,
or have the block's combined height centered between grid lines. Centering
is much more important in ideographic type systems.

If normal layout would result in a misalignment, content shifts down to
the next available grid line.

Sometimes it's necessary to have particular content opt out of aligning to
a grid.

There can be one or more grids per document. Multiple grids can overlap
(body grid and side content grid) or run in series (a vertical stack of
pages). Grids can be nested (think of a document being represented as a
graphic inside another document). A particular piece of content only
aligns to a single grid.

Thanks,

Alan