Re: Some significant items for discussion on "What is a Web Publication?"

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 12:40 -0700, George Kerscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Clearly a course would be made up using a range of web publications,
> but the whole course being a web publications seems like too much.

Concepts such as "related publications" and "part of a series" come to
mind. For a multi-voume work such as the well-known twelve-volume
Encyclopedia of Latvian Snail-Dances, individual volumes have an ISBN
and are available for purchase but there's also an identifier for the
collection, which includes courses and student snail-dance exercises
[1].

An advantage of bundling up a whole series might be to simplify inter-
volume links (cross-references), although we need to end up in a place
where a publication doesn't need to change in order to have cross-
volume links start working locally when you buy the fifth volume
(“Emanating Clockwise Spirals”) instead of going to a local page that
says you don't have the volume and linking to the publisher's Web site
or the various bookshops you've been using to buy the other volumes. So
maybe that is not a real advantage.

In any case we should be flexible and not I think exclude the
possibility of a “boxed set” that might include multiple “publications”
and maybe even other boxes.

On trust and working offline - if a PWP is held (notionally) entirely
in browser-local storage, maybe a private/personal Web server could be
a requirement, resolving some of the "file domain" issues.

Liam

[1] The deluxe edition includes a DVD of the snails' mating dances, but
that may be a little too risqué to mention here.