RE: "Show me the metadata!" :), was Re: Rough sketch for WP

I agree, presuming that one possible choice is to put the metadata in the publication (though by far the more common and preferred practice would be to maintain it externally to the publication). This is consistent with current actual practice regarding metadata in most (but not all) sectors of publishing.

--Book publishing metadata is overwhelmingly managed and disseminated separately from publication files, typically as ONIX feeds, as many people have already observed.

--Journal article metadata is commonly embedded in the article XML (typically JATS XML or, previously, NLM XML), in the "metadata header" that model provides. This is a very longstanding and virtually universal practice in scholarly publishing. As Tzviya observed, this does create a certain level of ambiguity or duplication between things like titles, contributor names, affiliations, etc. that are both metadata and rendered content. But technically, in the JATS XML, these things are metadata, and a rendering system needs to go fetch them from that place when rendering an article. (She also appropriately pointed out that this involves a transform to some other model; you don't actually render JATS, you render PDF or HTML.) So it is very useful for these things (titles, contributor names, affiliations, etc.) to be part of the article's XML. Nevertheless, that same metadata (or portions of it) is also extracted and used separately from the article files for purposes such as registering the article with Crossref to obtain a Crossref DOI, managing the article in the journal's hosting platform, etc.

--News is published today in an enormous volume of small chunks of content. It is essential in that world for metadata to be embedded in the content and to be machine readable because it has to travel with the content as it is duplicated and disseminated widely. (The AP, just one news organization, creates 250,000 individual publishable assets every day.) That doesn't mean it isn't also maintained in a master metadata database. So this particularly raises the issue of where the authoritative and up-to-date metadata resides. News organizations need to be very conscious of which metadata is stable, and thus embeddable, and which metadata is volatile, and thus should be maintained externally. Externally always wins; that master metadata can be embedded _from time to time in its then-current state_ when content is interchanged at specific times for specific purposes.

--Educational publications are in the midst of a transition from the book-like model to the news-like model: from big monolithic publications (which still exist, of course) to huge collections of components that can be distributed independently and recombined in various ways.

--Magazines are making the same transition, though the "publications" are smaller and less monolithic than a big textbook and the "sub-publications," if you will (I resist characterizing them as components because they are in themselves complex publications, not typically a single file), are more stable once created (less slicing and dicing and recombining than goes on in the educational publishing world).

BTW, these are front-and-center issues for the Permissions and Obligations WG (POE WG) as they expand their use cases and refine ODRL.

I hope this is interesting, and you don't think I've wasted my breath because really all I've done is confirmed the importance of maintaining the metadata independently of the publication but enabling it to be embedded in it.

Bill Kasdorf

VP and Principal Consultant | Apex CoVantage

p:

734-904-6252  m:   734-904-6252

ISNI: http://isni.org/isni/0000000116490786