Re: Dereferencing, Re: Jotting down some discussion topics

Also remember, Marcos, that the identifier for a PWP is _NOT_ always a URL.  It could be w3id, a DOI or an ISBN.  We need a term that works for all of those types of identifiers.   (since we also have an “off the web” manifestation, that I know you hate).

Leonard

On 9/21/16, 2:07 AM, "Marcos Caceres" <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:

    Thanks Ivan, these notes are great.

    However, I'd like to nip the following on the bud right now because I
    worry about where the following could go:

    > Because this is a URL, we will have to define what is returned by a server if that URL is dereferenced.

    We won't actually: if a URL uses the http/https protocol (or a URL
    scheme that Fetch understands), and the request is a known HTTP method
    verb, and performed in terms of fetch, then Fetch defines what should
    be expected by the client: a Response, with a mime type and other
    helpful HTTP headers.

    Thus, I would urge us to immediately stop using the legacy concept of
    "dereference", as it's no longer part of the fetch lexicon (or part of
    the Web Platform at all) - and can be extremely confusing as in
    reality it has little baring on the behavior of clients that fetch
    requests - and servers that serve responses.

    Kind regards,
    Marcos