Paginating with Annotation

From: Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:26:59 +0000
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

This is a potentially less than sane idea for using Web Annotation Data Model to create a pagination definition regardless of ownership, access, or control over various resources or specific resources (a resource + a narrowing selection).

Here's what the data structure looks like (cribbing heavily from Example 12 in the Web Annotation Data Model specification):
https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#example-8

```
{
  "@context": "http://www.w3.org/ns/anno.jsonld",
  "id": "http://example.org/anno12",
  "type": "Annotation",
  "motivation": "paginating",
  "target": {
    "type": "List",
    "items": [
      {"source": "http://example.com/book/cover.png", "stylesheet": "http://example.com/css/position-cover.css"},
      {"source": "http://example.com/book/toc", "stylesheet": "http://example.com/css/toc.css"},
      {"source": "http://example.com/book/intro", "stylesheet": "http://example.com/css/us-letter-size.css"},
      {"source": "http://wikipedia.com/PageAboutThisBook",
        "selector": {
          "type": "CssSelector",
          "value": "#mw-content-text"
        },
        "stylesheet": "http://example.com/css/us-letter-size.css"
      },
      {"source": "http://example.com/book/another-page", "stylesheet": "http://example.com/css/us-letter-size.css"}
]
  }
}

The only thing above not currently defined in the Web Annotation Data Model is the `paginating` motivation--everything else is "stock" Web Annotation Data Model.

Obviously, there are worlds (and probably dragons) beyond this point, but I wanted to share this as I find thinking about it inspiring.

If you feel this has merit in some way, I'd be happy to explore it further with anyone interested.

Cheers!
Benjamin
 --
Information Standards