Re: For the discussion on the PWP

First of all, I am not sure what you describe is enough. The library gets a copy of the book indeed, but I think that the real, 'authoritative' URL for that 'work' is the one published by P, ie, h <https://www.acme-labs.com/Orlando/c001.html#x>ttps://www.publisher-P/new/Orlando/. (I deliberately do not want to use the term 'canonical'.)  But, of course, if L also has the information on the URL at P, then the annotation's URL can also be reconstructed.

I guess the issue is who does the reconstruction and, maybe more fundamentally, which information are stored and where to keep this doable? I guess this is where the background of our thinking is: that the copy at L must have a reference, eg in its manifest, to the URL at P, and that the copy by B must have a reference both of P and L.

Then there is the other direction. If user D only knows about the address at P, ie, makes a reference to P, is there any way for user U to know about that? Is it necessary?

The whole situation becomes fairly murky by virtue of moving things around.

Ivan