Re: DOIs in practice

SInce we're talking about DOIs...

I am struggling right now with Crossref's display rule changes
(http://blog.crossref.org/2016/09/new-crossref-doi-display-guidelines.html);
my steering committee has _serious_ reservations about forcing people
through a single gateway to get to documents. What we do now is have the
DOI in a urn format, and additionally a URL with the actual target for
our documents. If we switch that to just the one URI that goes through
Crossref, then what's to protect people from being tracked as they go
through Crossref's servers? In countries like Turkey and China, if the
government demands access to the logs to see who is accessing what
material, Crossref would have to comply. Since we have documents that
enable people to rebuild the Internet (and they did, back when Egypt
shut down access to the Internet a few years ago), it's actually a
reasonable concern.

Has this come up in any conversations you all know about?

-Heather