Re: Notes about the Web App manifest document

On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 16:41 +0200, Mike Perlman wrote:

> Right now only a single file PWP works and I ask - apart from non-
> core reasons - what is the benefit of multi-file container for the
> offline document?

Encyclopedia Britcannica.html (say) is fairly large - and an aircraft
manual might be 150,000 printed pages or more, so "chunking" is often
done for performance reasons.

Another reason is that it makes updates easier - e.g. you bought The
Two Towers and now want the other two volumes of Lord of the Rings,
viewed as a single book, but without losing your bookmarks and
annotations. However, this is weaker since in many such use cases a
"merge" step is needed - e.g. you bought the medical supplement to your
dictionary, now you want to add the legal supplement, and there are
some terms in common.

But it might be that's for the future.

Liam

--