RE: Musings on PWP Offline/Online Modes

Both very valid points!

From: Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) [mailto:rse@rfc-editor.org]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 4:57 PM
To: public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Musings on PWP Offline/Online Modes

On 1/4/16 1:05 PM, Bill Kasdorf wrote:

      > That's getting a little far afield, I think. Many scholarly

      > publications—even as short as a single journal
      article—reference

      > hundreds of other publications. It would never be anybody's
      intention

      > to include those in a PWP.

In a different use case, though, such as standards publications, this is a very useful idea. I can see how a standard with normative references to other standards might be best packaged as a body of work.

      > This also gets way out on thin ice on the ownership issue.
      Somebody

      > creating PWP 1 would run into a lot of resistance if she
      pointed to

      > PWP 2 and PWP 3, each authored by others, and asserted that
      they are

      > now part of her PWP 1. Referencing them, okay; _/including/_
      them,

      > not so much. Depending of course on the rights asserted for
      PWP 2 and

      > PWP 3; certain CC licenses would actually permit that, others

      > wouldn't.

Well, that's a typical copyright/fair use thing. I don't think we can solve for that in the PWP spec?

- -Heather

      > --Bill K

      > *From:*Nick Ruffilo [mailto:nickruffilo@gmail.com] *Sent:*
      Monday,

      > January 04, 2016 3:52 PM *To:* Charles LaPierre *Cc:* DPUB
      mailing

      > list (public-digipub-ig@w3.org<mailto:public-digipub-ig@w3.org>) *Subject:* Re: Musings on PWP

      > Offline/Online Modes

      > Another benefit would also be in instant creation of volumes.

      > Imagine that you could link to an additional PWP...  Lets
      ignore the

      > possibility for recursion and simply insanely large additions

      > (because these are solvable things, although worth noting)

      > I don't know TOO much about scholarly publishing, but I can
      imagine

      > being a student writing a thesis paper, and including a host
      of

      > referenced materials.  Imagine if all of those materials
      could be

      > included - and THEIR references.  In most cases, a link would
      suffice

      > (and SHOULD suffice) but there are cases where one would want

      > include the entire reference to allow for deep-reading in an
      offline

      <mailto:charlesl@benetech.org><mailto:charlesl@benetech.org>> wrote:

      > I like this idea Nick, especially the part about

      > This could have many benefits.  Imagine that there are a
      bunch of

      > scholarly publications that all reference a single
      image/diagram.

      > The web-based PWP version can reference a single online
      canonical

      > URL, whereas the offline PWP can have it's own local instance

      > (meaning less duplication, and the ability to update all the
      online

      > PWPs at once if there is an update to that image.  This is
      OPTIONAL,

      > so if someone wanted to do a snapshot, they just reference a
      local

      > image.

      > Now lets say there is are extended descriptions for this
      image, a 3D

      > model of this image, and/or a Tactile representation of this
      image

      > with a Tour description explaining what the tactile image
      is.  Now

      > this is done only once and all PWP’s would point to this
      image with

      > its attached extended descriptions.  The packager which would
      create

      > the offline version could also grab these extended
      descriptions as

      > well.  Custom Elements could be used here to interact with
      these

      <nickruffilo@gmail.com<mailto:nickruffilo@gmail.com>

      > <mailto:nickruffilo@gmail.com><mailto:nickruffilo@gmail.com>> wrote:

      > The conversation today got me thinking - and maybe it's the
      new year

      > crazies, but I got to thinking of the true value of having
      something

      > of a PWP "engine" that would provide unique value.  Below are
      some

      > use cases and what I feel is an interesting way to handle
      those

      > cases:

      > *The "vanilla" fully-offline package*

      > This is probably closest to what epub is today.  All the
      files for

      > the PWP are located in the same base, and besides the
      occasional <a

      > href=""> link that points to an external resource, all
      items are

      > contained within a package.  With little effort, the package
      can

      > exist on a server and as long as there is a reading system
      that can

      > handle the manifest, the content can be read in a linear or
      whatever

      > method we end up with.

      > I think we're all in agreement here - ignoring word choice
      like

      > manifest, etc.

      > *The web-page-in-a-box*

      > Fonts live on other servers, images live on other servers,
      CSS

      > Frameworks live on a CDN, It's a beautiful (messy) web.  How
      does

      > this become offline?  This would require heavy lifting on the
      part of

      > the browser or the server (whatever generates the document)
      but

      > imagine if the packager could take these resources offline.

      > /Example/: I'm reading a wikipedia article, and I want to
      download it

      > as a PWP.  Wikipedia could specify a list of resources (heck,
      even a

      > hyper-minified version of their CSS) as well as all the
      images

      > related to that Wikipedia article.  All of those get packaged
      into a

      > PWP that I can download and read whenever.  YES IT WILL BE A
      SNAPSHOT

      > of the page at that time, but that isn't necessarily a bad
      thing...

      > It could even have update instructions (or an update URL).

      > External resources get added to the root path in some way
      like:

      > /http/somedomaincom/path/to/external/file.css

      > This could have many benefits.  Imagine that there are a
      bunch of

      > scholarly publications that all reference a single
      image/diagram.

      > The web-based PWP version can reference a single online
      canonical

      > URL, whereas the offline PWP can have it's own local instance

      > (meaning less duplication, and the ability to update all the
      online

      > PWPs at once if there is an update to that image.  This is
      OPTIONAL,

      > so if someone wanted to do a snapshot, they just reference a
      local

      > image.

      > For publishers - they could have a common CSS framework that
      they

      > could keep up-to-date, so that if they found a bug, or
      decided that

      > they wanted body color to be bright orange, they could update
      it

      > once, and all new offline PWPs that are generated get that.

      > Since this is 100% optional, those who wanted full control
      can simply

      > opt to create their content fully within a single root.  The
      ability

      > to be able to specify certain online resources to be
      "critical" to an

      > offline package could create production benefits (and yes, I
      realize

      <http://zenoftechnology.com/><http://zenoftechnology.com/>