Re: [dpup-loc] Diagram for a PWPClient on locators

OK – but the second half of your diagram isn’t correct then with respect to the text here.

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>>
Date: Monday, February 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org<mailto:public-digipub-ig@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpup-loc] Diagram for a PWPClient on locators

This is my diagrammatic view of the text below, with possibly some more details:

[[[

For the previous mechanism to work, the following statement, partially answering Q1 seems to be the essential feature:

  *   The answer to HTTP Get http://book.org/published-books/1 must make M available to the PWP Processor

However, there is no one, and only one, way to achieve that. Instead, a PWP Processor must be prepared to some alternatives. The final list of those alternatives should be part of a more precise specification for a PWP; some of the possible variations are as follows. The response of S (i.e., the answer to Q1) is:

  *   M itself (serialized as a JSON file, and RDFa+HTML file, etc.); or
     *   it may be important to return, as part of the HTTP response, a distinctive media type for the serialization of M
  *   a package in some predefined PWP format that must include a manifest containing M (or a subset thereof); or
  *   an HTML, SVG, or other resource, representing, e.g., the cover page of the publication, with M (or a subset thereof) provided through the Link<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988> header of the HTTP Response; or
  *   an (X)HTML file containing the <link> element referring to M (or a subset thereof)

These possibilities are not mutually exclusive. Each returned information, by itself, may be incomplete (hence the remark 'subset thereof') and a combination of those, or other possibilities, may provide the complete M.

A typical example may be when the manifest file returned from the packed state would not include Lu; this may be returned via the HTTP Response LINK header

Note: The relative priorities of these alternatives must be specified.

]]]

Ivan