Re: [dpub-loc] Draft update

Hi Ivan, all,

So, if I understand correctly, *M* consists of two parts: the manifest (the
list of files that *P* comprises, comparable to what we have in, e.g.,
EPUB) *Ma*, and the link set *Mlinks* (i.e., the set *L*, *Lu*, and *Lp*).
*Ma* is part of all states of *P*, and *Mlinks* is (probably) stored
somewhere outside of *P* (the options for generating and/or storing
*Mlinks* are
manyfold: as a JSON-file, from a database, from a web service,
automatically derived from the .htaccess file, ... I don't think there is a
need now to specify that, just as we at the moment don't have to specify
*how* *M* is returned).
When someone GETs *L*, *Lu*, or *Lp*, *S* returns (the dynamically
generated) *M*, in some way or another (see e.g., Ivan's suggestions), so
the PWP processor knows both *Ma* and *Mlinks*.
>From there, the PWP processor knows what to do.

Concerning the 'server-modifications' discussion: as far as I see, we have
two options discussed when trying to GET a resource from a packed PWP (and
this, in fact, is orthogonal to the 'how to return *M* discussion'):

   - either the server is modified to know about the internals of the
   package format, and returns the resource to the client (complex server,
   simple client)
   - or the server returns the entire package, and the client needs to know
   the internals of the package to retrieve the resource from the packed PWP
   (simple server, complex client).

Both have pros and cons, and I have the feeling this is the same problem as
asking for any kind of data from a knowledge base from the web: either you
download the entire data dump and retrieve the data on the client side, or
you set up a query service and the client asks the question directly to the
server. The end result is the same, the functionalities are the same, it's
just a matter of where to put the complexity. Maybe, other intermediate
options are also possible.
So maybe, this last discussion doesn't have to be answered: complex servers
can help the client to retrieve resources more efficiently, complex clients
can handle simple servers, and we'll all live in a hybrid world.

Any thoughts?

Greetings,
Ben

Ben De Meester
Researcher Semantic Web
Ghent University - iMinds - Data Science Lab | Faculty of Engineering and
Architecture | Department of Electronics and Information Systems
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
t: +32 9 331 49 59 | e: ben.demeester@ugent.be | URL:
http://users.ugent.be/~bjdmeest/