Re: [dpub-loc] Draft update

As addressed in Q1 – M comes from the request for the PWP (either via Lp, Lu or the Canonical URL (Lc?)).  Once the PWP has M, then it has all the information it needs (we assume!) to be able to get all the resources from S.

I don't think we need to add anything else – do you?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>>
Date: Friday, February 12, 2016 at 9:54 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Cc: Ben De Meester <ben.demeester@ugent.be<mailto:ben.demeester@ugent.be>>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org<mailto:public-digipub-ig@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpub-loc] Draft update

On 12 Feb 2016, at 12:51, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:

On Possible answer to Q2.

I can’t agree to the first half of assumption #2.  It would imply that M is created AFTER P is already placed on the server (or is authored by the same system that is responsible for hosting P on S). And if M is modified after P is created, then P isn’t actually P, but instead is P’ - which might be fine for the purposes of publishing, but we need to be clear about that.

Hm. You are right, that may be a bit more complicated.

But I completely agree with the second half – that the PWP Processor knows Lp and Lu.  However, it doesn’t get that entirely from M, but from additional material available on S (or local to the PWP Processor).

We still have to describe somewhere where the information comes from. The scheme I have in my head right now is as follows (but I have not yet added to the text): the final M, as a set of metadata statements, may come from different sources, and it is up to the PWP Processor to combine them. The requirement is that the Processor should get all the various metadata pieces, and how this is done is up to S.

One way is the usage of the Link header (described in the document) which would then be considered as, possibly, an extra set of metadata statements added to the metadata embedded in a packed publication. Ie, the content of P remains unchanged as far as the publisher goes (ie, it does not have to unpack the document, add the values of Lu and Lp to the embedded metadata) but the metadata delivered to the processor is still the complete M.

WDYT?

Ivan

And therefore, the answers for Q2 as stated still apply since in neither cases is the bit about M and S relevant.

So just remove that bit about M knowing S and we’re good…

Leonard