Re: HTML-Note and bibliographies

> On 26 Apr 2016, at 11:04, Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io> wrote:
>
> And that wouldn't be a problem at all in the model I proposed.  Use @type="1" and *poof* - arabic numbers.  Different groups for different numbering sequences if you like.

There is a more general question, then. Is there an easy *and standard* way to access the number from CSS? Ie, something using note:before, a standard class with a spam, something like that. If that is the case, then I can control whether the arabic number would appear as superscript.

(I was really reacting on Liam's comment that the value in the title cannot have markup, ie, <sup>)

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:38 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org <mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>> On 26 Apr 2016, at 01:40, Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io <mailto:shane@spec-ops.io>> wrote:
>>
>> Comments inline:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org <mailto:liam@w3.org>> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2016-04-25 at 12:07 -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
>> > There was a question in the meeting today about whether a
>> > bibliography
>> >
>> [...]
>> >    - If "type" is empty for a note, then prefer its title attribute
>> > for
>> >    display value
>>
>> In general it's poor design to take text content from attributes,
>> because that precludes having markup (e.g. if a bibliographic reference
>> italicizes "et al." in the list of authors or puts a journal volume
>> number in bold, or has Japanese ruby annotations). So I'm a little wary
>> of this. See [Quin, Rueben, Io _et. al_, 1984_b_] for details :-).
>>
>> Yeah - I am aware of this (obviously).  But I don't really have a good alternative that would be both flexible AND easy to use.  The title attribute accommodates popular citation styles (e.g., APA).   Do you have an alternate suggestion?
>
> Well… I have seen bibliographies in history (my wife is a historian) where the citation mark is an arabic number in superscript:-(
>
> Ivan
>

> ----
> Ivan Herman, W3C
> Digital Publishing Lead
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/ <http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/>
> mobile: +31-641044153 <tel:%2B31-641044153>
> ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704 <http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704>
>

> --
> Shane McCarron
> Projects Manager, Spec-Ops