Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:53:58 -0400
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: ishida@w3.org, "Asmus Freytag (c)" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, www International <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Florian Rivoal scripsit:

> And even if this function is not implemented, hardcoding things in
> the markup does not give you more flexibility than doing it with
> css. The way markup handles arbitrary depth of alternating quotes is
> by writing the alternating quotes manually. If you can manually write
> 5, 12, or 57 levels of nested quotes, you can manually writing 5, 12,
> or 57 level of nested selectors.

That is true but not the point.  If a new default is to be specified
for q in terms of CSS, it has to be in a finite amount of CSS.  The
toggle satisfies that: adding extra nested selectors does not.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
My confusion is rapidly waxing