Re: Expected behaviour of quotation marks

On 07/04/2016 21:26, fantasai wrote:
> I think that depends a bit on what you're doing with the quotes.
> Nested speaker quotations maybe, but quotation marks are also
> used for things like titles, "air quotes", and other effects
> which imho seem to work better if we don't jump contexts.

the latter are not what i have in mind at the moment. I'm actually
focused on things for which you would use the q tag, described in HTML5 as:

<q
cite="https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/text-level-semantics.html#the-q-element">The
q element represents some phrasing content quoted from another source.</q>

and further described by:

<q>The q element must not be used in place of quotation marks that do
not represent quotes; for example, it is inappropriate to use the q
element for marking up sarcastic statements.</q>

(that said, i also tend to use markup to identify other things i want to
surround with quote marks in certain contexts (eg. <span
tend to be simpler (no secondary quote marks), and they are
differentiated semantically and stylistically.)

> I think this is *especially* true if considering a non-CJK
> fragment inside a CJK paragraph. Using CJK quotation marks
> inside a Latin segment would look very disruptive.
>
> Between this and the fact that it's not that easy to determine
> the "context" language (is it lang on <html>? what about <body>?
> the language of the immediately- surrounding text) is the best
> default behavior.

Well, if the algorithm to detect the language looks for the language
that surrounds the primary quotation markup, then maybe that's adequate.
See below.

> Authors can always adjust if they want something more specific.
>
>> Perhaps what we need is a CSS rule that says, 'If you're not
>> inside a q element, then set the quotes per the language outside
>> the quote; but if you are inside, ignore the language info.'
>>
>> I'm not quite sure how to say that in selector-speak yet.
>
>    [lang] { quotes: whatever; }
>    q, q [lang] { quotes: inherit; }
>
> (You need to make the second rule more specific than the first,
> though, by adding some always-matching selectors or somesuch.)

Florian's syntax seems to work(?).

ri