Re: Expected behaviour of quotation marks

From: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 04:12:27 -0400
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 2:48 PM, <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> In other words, i'm suggesting that the outermost quotation marks belong
> to the language of the paragraph, rather than the quotation, and that the
> innermost quotes would be those of the language of the quotation. But i'm
> also wondering whether the innermost quotes should use the primary or
> secondary quotation marks.
>
> I'm hoping that there are some people on the lists to which i'm sending
> this who know the/an answer to this question. Once i have that, as long as
> it doesn't descend into a muddle, i will venture to apply it to the
> description of the behaviour of the q element in html5, to see whether
> there's a match.

There's a mention of this in the CSS Generated Content Spec at [1]. See
example 9 and the preceding note:

If a quotation is in a different language than the surrounding text, it is
> customary to quote the text with the quote marks of the language of the
> surrounding text, not the language of the quotation itself.

This text was inherited from a very old version of this spec. I'll be happy
to update based on the result of this discussion.

Regards,

Dave Cramer

[1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-content/#inserting-quotes