Re: Best citation format for accessibility

Hi, Robin -

I've worked extensively with citations as a stylesheet developer.Efforts
included applying technology to reformat citations for visual rendering
based on the type of article in which they appeared. It's a very arduous
undertaking involving lots of checking within the reference to see what
actual pieces of any one reference are present, as the presence or absence
of any one piece can change what punctuation must be generated by the
stylesheet.

I've never seen anyone try to do this in HTML, let alone for a11y purposes.
It would still be an arduous undertaking, but I don't think it would be any
more arduous than, say, applying the MLA, or ALA reference style to a
series of reference types with a finite set of conditions. The bigger
question is does anyone who truly understands the issue have the ability to
financially back such an effort?

My original work in this took place between 1998-1999 using a precursor to
the NLM>JATS DTD. No one has ever asked me to provide that particular level
of detail in bibliographic references since that project.

Optimal a11y citations need to look right when visually rendered (based on
whatever bibliographic reference standard) but not have so much markup as
to trip up assistive technology. It's a tall order for HTML when you're
working with <span> and <cite> and without a very detailed stylesheet.

But that's just my experience. I'm hoping to hear from the a11y committee
to understand what other approaches have been tried over the last 15-17
years and any resulting best practices not based on DTD-specific XML.

Best regards,
Jean

Jean Kaplansky
Content Manager