Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

In the spirit of trying to close this discussion, I have made the following changes:

- I exchanged the term (Portable) Web Document to (Portable) Digital Document. I said in my previous mail[1] that I do not care about the name; in fact, I am not 100% sure this change is fine, because I am a bit concerned about giving the impression to be outside of the realm of the Web. That being said, a Digital Document is a set of Web Resources, so it may be fine.
- I exchange the term "exclusively" to "essentially" in the definition of the Portable Web Resource. I hope this will not backfire on us later (we shall see) but it may be acceptable in closing this issue.

I have copied the full set of definitions below; I have also updated the Glossary page[2].

I would propose to freeze these definitions now. I believe it reflects an acceptable consensus from all involved in this mail thread. We can reopen the conversation if we hit issues with them later, but I believe we should give the priority in defining the other entries in the glossary. After all, as Tzviya said below, our goal is to communicate clearly with other W3C groups and others. A number of those glossary entries may reveal technical issues that remain to be solved; locating those is the real job this IG has.

Thanks to all

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/6D429C0A-8D1D-4184-B55A-58F057AC0301@w3.org <http://www.w3.org/mid/6D429C0A-8D1D-4184-B55A-58F057AC0301@w3.org>
[2] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Glossary <https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Glossary>

[[[
• A Web Resource is a digital resource that can be uniquely addressed by a Unified Resource Identifier (URI), and whose content can be accessed through standard protocols like HTTP, FTP, etc.
 • Essential content of a Web Resource: if removed, would fundamentally change the information or functionality of the content.
 • Functionality related to a Web Resource: processes and outcomes achievable through user action.
• A Digital Document is a Web Resource which itself is a collated set of interrelated Web Resources and which is intended to be seen as a single Web Resource
 • A Digital Document should be constructed of resources whose formats enable (individually or in conjunction with other resources in the same Digital Document) delivery of essential content and functionality when delivered via a variety of technologies or delivery platforms.
 • A Digital Document should provide a gracefully degrading experience when delivered via a variety of technologies or delivery platforms.
 • A Digital Document should provide accessible access to content.
 • A Digital Document is not an object with a precise technical meaning, e.g., it is not necessarily equivalent to an HTML Document.
• A Web Resource in a Digital Document is Portable if an OWP compliant user agent can render its essential content by relying essentially on the Web Resources within the same Digital Document.
• A Portable Digital Document is a Digital Document whose all constituent Web Resources are Portable.
]]]

> On 11 Sep 2015, at 21:01 , Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken <tsiegman@wiley.com> wrote:
>
> A morning of meetings, a pile of emails.
>
> I am going to attempt to make some sense of this and set a goal for this group to a decision by the time I return to my desk on Wednesday morning:
>
> Ivan has provided revised definitions [1] of “Web Resources”, “Web Document”, and “Portable Web Document” based on the extensive feedback from this group.
>
> It seems to me that some of the conversation has gotten to the point of reminding ourselves what our task is.
>
> 1.       We are defining terms that we (DPUB IG) use so that we communicate clearly with one another as well as with other W3C groups (and anyone else). This may mean saying “Bagel is a bread product originating in Poland, traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, which is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked.” [2]. This definition clearly indicates that we are not talking about “The Montreal bagel, a distinctive variety of handmade and wood-fired baked bagel. In contrast to the New York-style bagel the Montreal bagel is smaller, thinner, sweeter and denser, with a larger hole, and is always baked in a wood-fired oven. It contains malt, egg, and no salt and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked.” [3]
> 2.       We are NOT detailing information about formats in the glossary. This is not a specification. It may seem that information about formats is implied, but that is not the discussion we are having now.
> 3.       We are NOT providing information about the process by which one achieves any of the terms identified. Unlike the bagels, the cooking is not part of the definition. This too may be part of a future (or not – TBD).
> 4.       We are NOT attempting to redefine terms like “Web”. Those terms have widely-known and accepted meaning and we do not wish to usurp them, and we do not need to explain them here.
>
> As Ivan mentioned [4], our current charter includes working on EPUB+WEB (or whatever name you would like to recommend for this white paper).
>
> Although there has been much discussion today, the only recommendation I see for a change is to remove the word “exclusively”. I think this term clarifies the intent of “portable”, which we have addressed at greater length in our packaging document [5].
>
> If anyone takes issue with a definition or a piece of definition, can I request a proposed change of text?
>
> Thank you and have a good weekend.
>
> Shana tova to those for whom it is relevant,
> Tzviya
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Glossary <https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Glossary>
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel>
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_bagel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_bagel>
> [...]